At St. Philip Neri we recognise the need for a mathematics curriculum that embraces mathematical reasoning, the ability to engage in problem-solving, and is underpinned by fluency in the fundamentals of mathematics.
It is vital that a positive attitude towards mathematics is encouraged among all of our pupils in order to foster confidence and achievement in a skill that is essential in our society. We aim to provide the pupils with a mathematics curriculum which will produce individuals who have a deep, long-term, secure and adaptable understanding of the subject.
We endeavour to give all of our pupils equal access to the whole mathematics curriculum, and where possible, to allow pupils to move through the programme of study at broadly the same pace. This means that:
‘Pupils who grasp concepts rapidly should be challenged through being offered rich and sophisticated problems before any acceleration through new content.’ (National Curriculum Mathematics Programme of study Key Stages 1 and 2).
At St. Philip’s, mathematics is taught through a mix of creative and practical opportunities plus regular opportunities to practise pencil and paper procedures underpinning arithmetic tests. We have a whole school yearly target and pupils have individual targets.
We aim to:
- develop mathematical understanding through a structured, practical and fun curriculum which fosters and celebrates each pupil’s contribution and achievements.
- enable our pupils to be fluent in the fundamentals of maths, including through varied and frequent practice with problems, so that they develop conceptual understanding and the ability to recall and apply knowledge rapidly and accurately.
- build on the earliest perceptual and cognitive learning through to problem solving and reasoning in real life situations.
- enable our pupils to use their learning to become as independent as possible in their adult lives.
- produce a stimulating environment and adequate resources so that pupils can develop their mathematical skills to their full potential.
Year Group Downloads
- Year 6 Mastery Term by Term Overview 07.04.16 (PDF)
- Year 5 Mastery Term by Term Overview 07.04.16 (PDF)
- Year 4 Mastery Term by Term Overview 07.04.16 (PDF)
- Year 3 Mastery Term by Term Overview 07.04.16 (PDF)
- Year 2 Mastery Term by Term Overview 08.07.16 (PDF)
- Year 1 Mastery Term by Term Overview 06.05.16 (PDF)